Friday, May 6, 2011

Carrots make me gag...

Good friends of ours have two boys. They recently told us a very funny story about their oldest who is 4. Apparently, he has taken to having a flare for the dramatics recently. So, at the table the other night, he did not want to eat his baby carrots, so he decided to make a statement and gag on them. I believe he was just dipping them in ranch dressing, but he wasn't a huge fan apparently. I applaud them in their efforts to help him enjoy veggies though! Keep up the good work guys. :)

It got me thinking about my next post. What is it about vegetables and kids? Is there some inherrent response within them to detest and despise veggies? I know my mom was a bit rough on us growing up. She had me eating kale, with little to no seasoning at the ripe age of 5! Romaine lettuce was one of my biggest enemies at that age, too. One of my better stories that lines up with Will's is when I would take bites of salad and ask to go to the bathroom and then spit it out in the toilet. Well, it didn't take too long for my mom to wisen up to my ways and finally followed me on my journey to the place where the lettuce got its freedom and found me out. I was busted, big time! Oh, beets were another terror on my list of gross foods. I have to say that I am open to trying most anything and enjoy ethnic and a variety of foods, but I can still say that I do not like beets, kale or romaine lettuce. Sorry mom! :)

In honor of all children who so selflessly have tried and continue the fight for vegetables to gain their freedom, I made my Honey Glazed Carrots for dinner last night. It is a pretty basic recipe but with a little flare from just a little curry powder. Do not be afraid to use curry. Also, you don't have to be making an "Indian" dish, per se, to use it either. It is a beautiful flavor that can accent a variety of foods without causing explosions in one's mouth. If you don't like too much heat, only use a sprinkle, but with the amount that I use in this recipe, there is little to no heat added, just a fun hint of flavor that leaves your family wondering what is different about these carrots?

Honey Glazed Carrots
 1        (16-ounce) bag baby carrots
 1/2      cup water
 1         tablespoon light margarine or butter
 1/2      teaspoon seasoned salt
 1/4      teaspoon curry powder
 2         tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
 2         tablespoons honey
  
v  In a medium saucepan, bring water and carrots to a boil and then lower to a simmer. 
v  Cook until almost all the water is gone, just enough to cover bottom of pan and carrots are desired texture, 10-15 minutes.
v  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.
Serves: 4
Hint: This recipe is wonderful the next day as the carrots have time to drink up the honey and sugar.

Variation: Cinnamon Sugar Carrots
2          tablespoons brown sugar
3/4       teaspoon cinnamon sugar
            Substitute regular salt for seasoned salt
            Omit curry powder

What are some of your memories of foods that grossed you out as a kid?

5 comments:

  1. Well Sis, I have no kids, but I will read your blog and bookmark it! I remember Mom made me eat soggy raw broccolli and peas yuck!!! I still can't eat either of those to this day! I love broccolli cheese soup. But broccolli by itself raw is my kryptonite and will quickly bring me to my knees.

    What a genius little girl you were back then, I was spewing coffee all over my phone when I read about your "salad days" of bathroom
    trips. I used Muffin under the table knowing full well he would eat anything! Love you always Phat Lages!
    :P

    Your Brudder Shown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sums!!

    Well, I was a weird kid, I loved EVERY vegetable my mother put in front of me, especially broccli and spinach! Meat on the other hand, was a different story! I remember my mother learning that liver was a good source of iron, so she made my sister and I each our own liver!!! It was discusting!!! It was grey and slimy; I began to cry! So my mom said I had to at least try one bite before saying I didn't like it.... So I did and, well let's just say that my mom had a lot of cleaning up to
    do within a few short seconds. I am now a vegetarian, and have been for years!

    Brittany Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I feel like such a terrible mother with what I made you and Shawn eat Honey!!! My cooking was so basic and your right! I didn't use spices at all. I didn't think you'd like them. I do remember your brother gagging at the table on broccolli! Was he ever good at it. He was luchky to have Muffin. I used to put my peas in my pockets at the dinner table and we had a dog going from kid to kid eating everything we gave him. I will say mom had a honey glazed carrot dish that I loved!!! Why didn't I ever do that for you kids???? I'm sorry for all the horror food I put before you Honey! You inspire me all the time to try new things! Thank you Darlin! I love you, Mom xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. B LOVES to throw his meat and green beans at the pugs! He's generous like that ;) It's funny that I don't remember a single food I didn't like EXCEPT cooked carrots. Oh, they still make my stomach turn. And my mom says it's because she ALWAYS fed them to me as a child. I'm shocked I'm not totally orange ;) I love raw carrots, though...strange...but robbie loves cooked carrots so occasionally I'll make them for him and B. He especially loves honey carrots, so I'll def have to try out your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Summer! I love your philosophy of giving kids veggies and making them interesting so the kids don't get bored. I've been giving Eden veggies and "weird" flavors since she started eating solid food. You may be the only person I know who knows what millet is besides me! Eden has eaten everything from millet to swiss chard (which she really likes) to roasted peppers and goat cheese to quinoa and squash to parsnips to beets to eggplant and more! I have a great baby food cookbook that has all these wonderful recipes that use really healthy foods and flavorful herbs and spices. Keep up the great advice, Summer! And P.S. you should try curry turkey burgers with pineapple salsa. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete